As mentioned in the chocolate cheesecake recipe, we played around over the weekend and made two desserts. This week we are celebrating Heritage Day on the 24th. This day is usually about getting together with family and friends, having a braai and eating too much.
This chocolate semifreddo is a nice and easy dessert and not too heavy for after a big meal. In our opinion it is better than the commercial ice-creams. But who, knows, we are biased.
280g of COCOAFAIR 71% Dark Chocolate Drops
4 Free Range Eggs
100g Castor Sugar
500ml Double Thick Cream
5ml Vanilla Essence
1. Grease the inside of a bread baking tin. Line the baking tin with cling film (do it in such a way that you have sufficient overhang and that the inside is entirely covered).
2. Place the chocolate drops into a heatproof bowl and melt using the double boiler technique. (This technique is as simple as putting the heatproof bowl onto a pot of boiling water, allowing the steam to heat the bowl and melt the chocolate. The bowl must not touch the water). Set the chocolate aside to cool for a few minutes.
3. Place the eggs and sugar in bowl and whisk for 4 minutes. This mixture should be pale, thick and fluffy.
4. Stir the cooled chocolate into the egg mixture.
5. Put the cream and vanilla essence in another bowl and whisk until soft peaks.
6. Add the whipped cream and pistachios to the chocolate mixture and carefully fold it in. Pour the mixture into the baking tin, cover with the overhanging cling film and freeze for 3-4 hours (over night is even better).
7. Remove this from the freezer before serving let stand so it can soften slightly. It will making cutting it easier.
That's it. Enjoy and do let us know if you tried this recipe or have any other chocolate recipe suggestions for us.